Sooooo....remember how I was maybe/sort of/kind of/definitely asked but not getting too excited in advance/ offered a role in a major feature film? That was just a couple of months ago. The film was still in pre-production and films can take a long time to get up and running. But when it's your first major feature film offer, a few months can see like a really long time. I feel like I've been waiting forever!
Okay, let me just preface this entry by stating that I am not naive. I am very well aware that this opportunity may not happen. I haven't signed anything. I'm operating on a verbal agreement.
That said, I believe! I believe! I believe that this can happen. Except that I've lost contact with the director/writer/star that I was assisting. Yes, the very person that offered me the role. GAH! Off my boss flew to put the movie together in a far away state, but armed with a solid plan to return in a few weeks to continued care and assistance by moi. A few weeks became a month. And then another month. My boss never came back and I never heard another word. I couldn't find anything about the film in the trades, which wasn't an encouraging sign.
DUM DUM DUM...
The production showed up on IMDB three weeks ago. My first thought? Thank God it's happening! My second thought? Where's my call? I'm ready to come to set!
And so, the online super sleuthing continues. It seems the cast is still coming together, but that a few scenes have been shot with some locals. As of last week, one super hot TV star is coming aboard. Some trades suggest shooting may have been halted for various reasons, while others seem to believe it's ongoing. The casting directors have changed. As luck would have it, I don't know them. Oh man, how do I initiate contact with <insert name> without seeming like a needy actor?
Okay, so I sent an email. That's how we always communicated before. And texting. Lots of texting. But picking up the phone? Yeah, I have the digits, but trust me on this one: that would be a horrible move. In the email, I wished <> all the best on the film and said if the offer was still good I'd be thrilled to come to set and would get myself there on my own dime.
Well, that's not a surprise. I'm not high on the totem pole. Maybe the email registered. Maybe it didn't. Maybe it wasn't the right time. Is it time to send a follow-up email? And what do I even say without sounding desperate? More importantly, if I don't pursue this with any intensity in the name of "being polite" will I have anybody to blame except myself?
Let's go back to "I believe! I believe!"